More storage space – more people space – more usable space. We want it and here are 7 Ways to get it in your home. Some you can do. Some you may want to hire done. Some you can buy!
- Your Kitchen Cabinets: You want more room. Where can you put the lids? Where can you put a sponge? Make use of the space that is already there. Take the false fronts where there aren’t any drawers. Remove them and hinge them and add small plastic containers. Now they tip out and your sponge is handy. Next, look down! All those kickboards can be turned into shallow drawers that are great for lids and baking sheets. You may want a handyman who is a good woodworker for this one as it will take some skill!
- The Kitchen Cupboards: Every time you open a cupboard, you’re looking at extra space. The inside of each cabinet door can be used. Paint it with blackboard paint and you have a handy place to keep your shopping list. Add some hooks and your measuring spoons – or any small item — will be in easy reach. You can probably do this one yourself!
- The Bathroom Shower Curtain: It’s there and you like it – now put it to work. You can either buy a shower curtain with pockets or you can sew some onto your fabric curtain with cute contrasting material. Make some deep enough to hold a shampoo or soap bottle. The pockets are great places to store your razor or even some of your makeup.
- The Bedroom Wall: Nothing says home like a print or picture you like. Instead of hanging it on the wall, make a box that is hinged at the bottom and mount the picture on the front. It will make a great jewelry box where you can hang necklaces or you can even use it to hold belts or ties.
- The Bedside Table: Move it off the floor. Find a simple nightstand and instead of setting it by the bed, mount it on the wall. You now have space to put a shallow basket for magazines underneath or a place to put your shoes. Plus, the space below the nightstand will create an optional illusion of more space.
- Your Washer (or Dryer): Simple, buy an ironing mat that will fit on the top and get rid of that space robbing ironing board.
- Your Hot Water Heater: You can’t live without hot water, right? What if you got all the hot water you need and you gained back all the space that big tank takes up? What would you put in the space? Shelves? A rod to hang clothes? A tankless hot water heater does the trick! It’s hot water on demand and it never runs out. You reclaim the space and get a new appliance that does a better job, is almost maintenance free and has a longer lifespan than you old, bulky tank.
Using space is all about being creative! Take a look around and see what works in your small space. Whether you just want to repurpose an area with a fold down desk or buy that tankless water heater, you’ll find ways to make the space work for you!